Thursday, November 3, 2011

Why a classic album is not always a good thing

Alright I been catching a lot of heat about my ranking of Wales album and I read this morning he was like lobbying for 5 Mics in the Source.  Now I don't think my personal reviews are as influential as the Source or anything, but The Source is where I learned how to evaluate an album in the first place. They were extremely tough and would rather underrate and album than overrate one, and I do the same

Lets review what 5 Mics is supposed to be, its not an album that  can be played from song to son without skipping, its not just good or lyrical, its not just popular, or expected to sell crazy, its not just new or different, etc. Its a classic, it changes the rules of hip hop as we know them, we automatically know that everyone will adjust and be influenced and try to do something like it for a while to come.

The copy and change formats are most important, because honestly a 4 1/2 mic is harder and really a true barometer of how good an album is. 4 1/2 mics tells you its damn near flawless, people just aren't going to try and copy it or the industry is not going to push that style, and honestly thats better, its more hip hop, its more original.

Classic doesn’t mean good, an album can be classically good or classically horrible, and both change the direction of hip hop. So be careful when you ask for classic ratings , and make sure it qualifies to be classic. But I think it should be told what type of classic it is , because honestly a few albums should have been considered classic even though they were wack as hell, but they changed music for years to come, some form which Hip Hp is still trying to recover from, Im just saying think about it because I’ve never seen a one mic rating.

Now I stand by my Wale rating full force, it was a good rating, I like him he's lyrical, but I needed to get that off my chest about what classic is and what it isn’t. If you disagree that seriously, do your own ranking and tell why your perspective and opinion.  My perspective at least whats yours ? Sound off

No comments:

Post a Comment