Sunday, August 18, 2019

Chance the Rapper - The Big Day



I listened to Chance the Rapper's #debutalbum - The Big Day. It was a little underwhelming. It's a concept album, and concept albums are really hard to pull off, and he didn't quite execute sticking the landing. First and foremost it's too long, 22 songs and 1hr 18 minutes long is unnecessary. It's eclectic as expected but it's also all over the place, had it not been for the skits keeping it on track I'd have been severely loss because the songs didn't really set up an order. I wasn't a big fan of the production or the lyrics both left a little to be desired. It was creative, it's versatile, but it didn't jam. I didn't hear a go-to, stand out, or a repeat worthy track. It's listenable but I didn't hear a single for radio, club street or that will crossover. It's an alright listen but not an exciting one definitely not his best work. I'd give it a C-

#musiccritic #musicreview #albumreview #hiphop #hiphopmusic #newmusic #musicblog # independent

No comments:

Post a Comment