Sunday, August 18, 2019

Nas - The Lost Tapes 2


I listened to Nas #newalbum - The Lost Tapes 2. It was ok, but I can definitely see why many of these songs never made the cut and were just in the vault. It's a compilation of songs that are each just missing something that makes them special; i.e.the beat wasn't quite right, it just didn't flow, the concept didn't come together, etc. If I were to use a sports analogy these are not slam dunks, they're regular jump shots.  If you're a Nas fan it's an interesting listen and deeper dive into what his song making process and writing process are. With the exception of a few songs, it's not a project that jams hard and will have you wondering why he never released this track or how long has he been holding this in the vault? The project essentially just shows me that he's human and that he has good days and bad ones. It's a lot of big name producer but not their best work.  It's listenable, but it's nothing I'd put in heavy rotation. I wouldn't expect to hear it on the radio, or in the club. It's good headphone music. It's not a project that you'd do a lot of skipping on, but on its own, it's not repeatable. But if you were just listening to like his a mix of his catalog and the songs came on you'd let them play. There weren't many standouts or go to tracks but I liked "Vernon Family" and "Beautiful Life". I'd give it a C+


No comments:

Post a Comment